Friday, January 4, 2008

The teaching service

Reminiscing is the art of the old. It makes sense as people grow older they have more stories to tell. Anyone who has taught knows all about bumping into past pupils and reminiscing about the past.
Rain, snow and wind prevented me from biking back to West Kerry so I took refuge in Newbridge College - I hate that word 'college' being used in the context of a post-primary school.
Out for a walk I called into a shop to get a key made. The man behind the counter gave me a knowing look but within a second or two there was no further recognition. And then I mentioned something, he looked at me and said 'Fr Commane'. I suddenly forgot about the cold and the wet and we were in animated conversation. I taught him English back in the 1980s. I felt proud about it and was chuffed that he remembered me. But also a great sadness came over me and if I were not at present back teaching that sadness would have been all the greater.It would have been a black moment.
Maybe it is that some people are destined to be outsiders, scraping at the window looking in. But I look back on those days and recall so much of the nonsense and craziness that went on in the place. People in authority used phrases such as 'Dominican ethos'. I did not know then what it was and I still don't know what it means.
And to think that there are no Dominicans teaching in the school today really is a tragedy. We reap what we sow. And our sowing was not always good. Of course the people in authority can explain it all away in clever-sounding terms.
Has any organisation the ability of critically examining itself and then acting on its findings. It is never easy to be consequential and maybe especially a church organisation.
Where I am now teaching there is never a mention of an 'ethos' and the word 'college' is not used. Not a trace of pious humbug or pretension. It's a friendly school and thank God I'm happy teaching there.
Maybe 'outsiders' should consider themselves fortunate at times, especially when it makes no sense at all to be 'inside'.

5 comments:

Francis Hunt said...

Oh yes, Michael, there was a lot that happened under the "Dominican ethos" in Newbridge of which the Irish Province of the Order cannot be proud. It will continue to do damage for a long time to come, now that horrible things have become part of the public domain. Just check the Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Mercer

Francis

Anonymous said...

Do you moderate your comments? The wikipedia link attached to the above comment could cause you no end of trouble with anyone who may have the legal know how.

Francis Hunt said...

Aren't anonymous comments lovely? Especially such a well meant warning as the preceding one! The article I linked in Wikipedia is part of the public domain, so there shouldn't be any legel worries there. Still, Michael, if you are concerned, delete it and give the general link for Newbridge College under Wikipedia instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbridge_College

Anyone who reads the article will find easily find the way to destination I referred to - the sad result of abuse and negative publicity.

Take care,

Francis

Michael Commane said...

But why the anonymity? If someone is genuinely concerned and wants to give worthwhile advice why be anonymous?
As I have already said, I have been made conscious of the damage 'anonymity' casues. But may I stress anonymity is anathhema to me and anyone who might ever associate me with anything to do with anonymity could never be an associate, colleague or friend of mine.

Michael Commane said...

Back to Fr/Br/Mr/Ms Anonymous. It dawns on me your use of the word 'trouble' is a significant tell-tale as to who you may be.

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...