Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all who read this blog. Bit of a cliche really, but it is standard practice and we all do it. I even found myself wishing a man on Slievenamon yesterday a Happy New Year.
No doubt we can all recall our childhood Christmases and remember the 'good old days'.
I tried to work up some sympathy for myself this Christmas. Not being married and having no children I thought I had good reason to feel sorry for myself. But it never happened.
It's back to work tomorrow and many of us will note the numbers '2008' on the pages of tomorrow's newspapers. And that's all that's to the new year.
We move on in our lives and our faith. We have celebrated the feast of the birth of Christ. All we can do is ask ourselves how seriously we take it. The life-long challenge of faith is an amazing phenomenon.
Senator David Norris was on RTE Radio 1 before Christmas and he wisely pointed out how people who think they have the 'inside track' on God are arrogant. He referred to them as blasphemers. His views make much sense.
Just a little indulgence - after Mass on Christmas Day I swam in the Atlantic. On Saturday there was a charity walk for Malawi from Fermoyle to Fahamore, again along the Atlantic. There was a storm up but luckily we had the wind on our backs for the 12 km walk. But it was cool.
On Sunday afternoon I drove my Honda Deauville from West Kerry to Waterford - on reflection I can say it was an act of semi-madness. A novice should never drive in the rain and dark. Best place for a motorbike in an Irish winter is the garage.
It was more rain and overhanging clouds on Slievenamon on the last day of the year. But it was beautiful.
One great thing I thank my novice master for was how he got us out on our bikes and the fresh air; the long cycles, the hikes, the mountain climbing. Thank you for the great introduction.
Happy New Year.

No comments:

Featured Post

Hugh Grant, John Paul II and Rupert Murdoch

We’ll  never now hear the full story of the sordid ways of Rupert Murdoch. On the other hand don’t we know enough about the man. And it’s un...