Tuesday, April 2, 2024

The mystery and wonder of all our lives

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

It’s Easter Week, the schools are closed and no doubt the airlines have upped their fares during the holiday. 


Imagine the uproar there would be if Irish Rail or any of the national transport companies increased fares within Ireland during this time.


I’m forever saying there’s so much to do and see right in front of our eyes.

 

I’m looking back on Palm Sunday, the first day of this year’s Holy Week.


My day began, accidentally talking to a woman at work. It turns out she comes from Yakutsk. I’d never heard of the place. It’s in north east Siberia and boasts to be the coldest place on earth. It has recorded a temperature of minus 71 degrees Celsius.


I'm fascinated with all things Russian. The two of us got talking. The woman told me she speaks Russian and Lithuanian but that her mother tongue is Sakha. 


I’d never heard of it. The Republic of Sakha or Yakutia, with a population close to half a million, is in the Russian Federation. 


Walking away after our chat I felt privileged, indeed, delighted to have met someone from such afar off place. I was tempted to ask what her thoughts were on Putin’s ‘Special Military Operation’, but I didn’t and anyway, I was at work and such questioning would have been unprofessional.


There’s no need to travel anywhere to see the wonders of the world. It’s all in front of our eyes.


Later that day I was meeting two former students of mine in Dublin’s Duke Street. It had been a long time since I had been in Dublin city centre on a Sunday, indeed, I’d say it was years ago. I could not get over how busy it was. 


We are constantly hearing that there is an urgent need for stronger Garda presence on the streets of our cities. Between South Great George’s Street and Grafton Street I saw nine gardaí, including two sergeants. 


I was surprised and amazed with the buzz that was about. There was a great feeling of life. Young and not-so-young, people dressed in every possible attire. 


And then out of the blue on Grafton Street I saw a group of Hare Krishna’s approaching, at least I think that’s what they were. They were singing and dancing and looked as happy as Larry. They brought a smile to my face. I stopped for a moment, just looking at them and admiring the colour they brought to the street. 


As they passed I spotted a queue snaking around a corner. It was made up mainly of men and young boys. The nosey person I am, I asked why the queue, to be told there were three Republic of Ireland footballers inside the shop and obviously signing autographs.


It was George Bernard Shaw who said: ‘Wisdom is wasted on the old, and youth is wasted on the young’.


I spent this year’s Palm Sunday thinking about how every single human being is different and yet we have so much in common. The mystery and wonder of our lives. It’s beyond fascinating. Watching it is magic.

No comments:

Featured Post

Re-turn scheme an earner for enterprising man out of work

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column. Michael Commane It’s a long time since I have been in the centre of Dublin at morni...