The piece below is a comment posted by Fr Wilfrid Harrington on the Association of Catholic Priests website,
Though I had, at an early stage, as token of support, become a member of ACP, I had not, hitherto, attended an Association meeting. I did go along to the Greenisle Hotel meeting on Tuesday evening but, mainly, to acknowledge the Association award to my friend Sean Fagan– a great theologian, shabbily treated by the Establishment. What I experienced was heartening: especially the enthusiastic support of the Association by the big attendance of lay women and men — they almost monopolised the contributions. I thereupon decided to attend the Wednesday morning session.
I am one converted by Vatican II. My articles in Doctrine and Life, during and after the Council, bear witness. I have been saddened by the betrayal of Vatican II over the past thirty years. I now know, from our meeting, that Vatican II is not dead. Now I am aware that I belong to a sizable group of priests, diocesan and religious, who still believe in Vatican II. And, happily and vitally, not only clergy, but very many lay women and men.
After our AGM I confidently expect that membership of ACP will grow substantially. We, and our like, will sustain the vision of Vatican II: a Church truly the Church of Jesus Christ.
Wilfrid J. Harrington, O.P.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Two in five can travel free in Ireland and to off-shore islands
Over 1.18 million people qualify for the Free Travel Pass, with the total number of beneficiaries increasing to over 2.06 million when spous...
-
An interesting quote from Napoleon Bonaparte: “The honest man never doubts the existence of God’.
-
This is a worrying story. It’s written by Conor Pope and appeared in The Irish Times on Monday. It becomes ever more worrying how large org...
-
Former Dominican priest Tom Tom Brodie Brodie died in a nursing home in Galway yesterday. He had been ailing for some time. He was born in C...
No comments:
Post a Comment