Tuesday, October 11, 2022

A positively shocking contact with Electric Ireland

This week’s INM/Mediahuis Irish regionals newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane
It’s Thursday, September 29, 1.30pm. I’m using a landline phone, have placed the receiver on the table and have begun writing this column. I’m on the phone to Electric Ireland and have been told my wait time will be approximately 20 minutes. 

Three weeks ago I phoned Electric Ireland. On that occasion I waited 45 minutes before a human voice answered. I phoned to ask a question about how to find out on their app my electricity usage over the last three years. The person with whom I spoke was not able to answer my query. I went back to Electric Ireland’s app and on the appropriate space filed a note asking for help. No reply. I wrote a second note approximately two weeks later, again no reply.

I consider the manner in which Electric Ireland has treated me is completely unacceptable.
 
I clearly remember my mother either phoning ESB or calling into an ESB office any time she wanted to make an enquiry about her bill. She was always dealt with efficiently and politely and always came away armed with the information she sought. That was the day when there were paper bills and meter readers. I can never once remember my mother getting frustrated or annoyed with the service she received from ESB.

Move the clock forward 30, 40, 50 years and just look at the shambles I am experiencing in this the era of super speed technology. I simply don’t understand. No, that’s not quite true. Maybe I do understand and maybe the treatment that has been meted out to me has something to do with how we have become slaves to profits, pairing down staff, doing everything possible that companies make as much money as possible, whether they are in the private or public sector.

Approximately 25/26 minutes later I am talking to a human voice. I explain to him what I want to know. 

He is a pleasant man. At first he misunderstood what I asked, maybe I did not properly explain what I required. On two occasions he  had to refer to someone else to get the information. All the while the clock is running and I am now over 30 minutes on the phone. 

Maybe I misunderstood but I was led to believe that my usage history for the years preceding 2022 was at present not available to me because I have had a smart meter installed. The man with whom I was speaking suggested he transfer me to the billing/tariff department and promised me I would not be waiting long. 

He was correct. After two/three minutes the phone was answered. The person said hello and the call went down. 

That all happened between 1.30pm and 2.30pm on Thursday, September 29, the feast of Sts Michael Gabriela and Raphael. I’m wondering would I be better off praying to them because I have received zilch help or information from Electric Ireland. 

The outcome of all my questioning is that I am frustrated and angry, annoyed with how we are all being treated by corporations and powerful organisations. It’s that feeling of helplessness. I had a similar experience over the same period with Bank of Ireland. But that’s another story and maybe material for another column.

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...