Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The point that made me think about God

This week’s INM/Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column

Michael Commane
Having scored a point from a difficult angle early in the game I overheard a man near me say: ‘God has arrived’.

It was the Sunday of the heatwave, the last day of those soaring temperatures when the water coming out of the cold water tap was anything but cold.

West Kerry village Castlegregory were playing a home game against Fossa.
 
Fossa is the club of the two All-Ireland stars David and Paudie Clifford. At this stage most of Ireland must know of the footballing skills of David Clifford.
 
And of course the man near me was referring to him.

Many experts say that Paudie’s contribution in the All Ireland final was arguably more critical than David’s. 

But last Sunday week my eyes were focused on David Clifford. I was amazed how he could swallow up the ground and doing it with the ease of an Usain Bolt.

He was simply sauntering about the park, taking the odd shot and scoring.

I’m told by those who know, they had never before seen so many at a game in the village.

The God reference was pure genius, it was funny and how it capsulated the moment, the atmosphere, the entire event of that Sunday afternoon in one of the most beautiful spots on earth.

Never for a moment did I think that I’d be writing about Gaelic football two weeks in a row. A few weeks in Kerry can be the making of us, even 
change our lives forever.

But this game, the team and the venue is really a springboard or catalyst to make some pertinent observations.

Since that man said those three words of genius I’ve been trying to parse them, trying to think and wonder, no not about David Clifford but about God and our relationship with God.

Scanning the grounds I did ask myself how many of those playing or present were at Mass that weekend.

I’m not for a moment saying ‘going’ to Mass is the defining act in calling someone Catholic. But I am saying the vocabulary is gone. The sense of God that the hierarchical church tries to disseminate is over.

And I can imagine it’s a similar story in most western Christian religions.

On July 7, 2024, if I make it, I’ll be 50 years a priest. I recall my mother saying to me long before my priestly ordination that when the alienation with the church would begin, it would all happen with speed.

How right she was. And for almost 50 years I’ve been scratching my head and saying that the status quo is simply not working. I am my mother’s son.

To try to say anything about God is complex and difficult and there are no easy trite answers. I keep wondering have bishops realised the vocabulary of the church has become meaningless for so many.
 
By the way, Fossa won. And guess what, more problems with the scoreboard, as was the case in Blennerville. See, the GAA too is not perfect.

No comments:

Featured Post

Re-turn scheme an earner for enterprising man out of work

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column. Michael Commane It’s a long time since I have been in the centre of Dublin at morni...