Thursday, April 28, 2022

Poetry Day Ireland

Today is Poetry Day Ireland.

To mark the occasion, Patrick Kavanagh’s ‘Memory of My Father'

Memory of My Father


Every old man I see
Reminds me of my father
When he had fallen in love with death
One time when sheaves were gathered.

That man I saw in Gardiner Street
Stumble on the kerb was one,
He stared at me half-eyed,
I might have been his son. 

And I remember the musician
Faltering over his fiddle
In Bayswater, London.
He too set me the riddle. 

Every old man I see
In October-coloured weather
Seems to say to me
"I was once your father."
-Patrick Kavanagh

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love that Poem Michael enjoy your special day

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...