Tuesday, December 7, 2021

It’s vital to take care of our mental health

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column

Michael Commane
Seán O’Hara ran a marathon every day during the month of November.

He has suffered from depression and anxiety in the past and this was his way to make people aware of the problems and the remedies that are available to help people.

Seán explains how he never spoke about his mental health problems. But once he went to therapy it brought out all he had suppressed.

Retired detective inspector Pat Marry, who was involved in many high profile murder cases, including that of Joe O’Reilly’s murder of his wife Rachel Callely, spoke last week of the toll his job had on his mental health. He also appeared on the Clare Byrne RTE Radio 1 programme, where he came across as a wonderful caring person.

He said that once he visited a therapist he found himself crying for hours.

Some days before I learned about Seán O’Hara and Pat Marry a man told me that his son had suggested that he undergo a cognitive test. 

He was annoyed and even angry towards his son for having the temerity to think there might be problems. We discussed the pros and cons of the issue and by the end of our conversation we both agreed that anything we do that will enhance our mental and physical wellbeing is always worthwhile.

The more we get to know about ourselves is surely something very positive.

It’s a great privilege to be able to avail of the advances made in the human sciences.

I have no problem admitting that when I was in my mid to late 40s I availed of counselling. 

I am certain that attending a therapist has done me a power of good. I have learned aspects about myself that have helped me cope with fraught and complicated situations. I think I am now far more inclined to stand back and ask myself why I took particular actions.

If someone annoys or irritates me I hope I am now more reflective and instead of lashing out, I can stand back and examine the situation at hand. Why did I do that? Why did I respond as I did?

In the hospital where I work there is a psycho-oncology service available to patients and I see first-hand the benefits it offers to people who have been diagnosed with cancer.

Anyone who has ever had dealings with  alcoholics will always know the great work that Alcoholics Anonymous does. It’s a form of therapy.

Our minds are strange places and the more we know about ourselves, the better it is for us and those around us.

Many years ago I heard a wise Dominican provincial say how quick we are to visit the physically sick in hospital but we can be far more reticent to visit those who are hospitalised for psychiatric or psychological reasons. That tells its own story and certainly something well worth thinking about.

It would be most unusual to hear anyone say that they are embarrassed about paying a visit to their local GP. So, why should we be ashamed or reticent in taking good care of our mental health?

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...