Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Does the hierarchy believe it owns the church?

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column

Michael Commane
The first time you walk into an important place it’s most likely that you will be awestruck.

I know the first time I was in government buildings or Dáil Éireann I was conscious that I was in a special place, somewhere that resonated with a sense of history, importance too.

I think I was eight when I went down to Roscrea College with my mother and father. My brother was being admitted as a border to the school. I can still remember standing in the entrance hall as my parents spoke to the president of the college. 

It was all so majestic and powerful and as a little boy I perceived both priests and buildings as intimidating. Back then I would not have known what intimidating meant, nevertheless, that’s the effect it had on me.

I think it’s fair to  say that when we walk into some palatial setting with which we are not familiar we are awestruck.

So too when we meet important or famous people, we certainly watch our Ps and Qs. We might not know the first thing about the person but there is that sense we are in the presence of perceived greatness.

In an Ireland of a different era people sidled up beside the teacher, the priest, the doctor. They felt they were in the presence of someone important, while at the same time they might not have known the first thing about the person.

I imagine that same sort of phenomenon still exists in the world of celebrities. And of course there are many sycophants who think it a good move to stay close to the coattails of the great and the good.

I remember once hearing journalist Vincent Browne remarking that when we give titles to people we give them power and control over us.

I’m often struck with the relationship that exists between the institutional church and the individual member.

It goes without saying that in every organisation there’s the good the bad and the ugly. That’s life. But in spite of all the talk I hear, all the words of sorrow that I have heard about historical misdeeds, I still can’t help but think that the institutional church has actually hijacked the church, which is the people of God. 

These days I’m asking myself does the hierarchy actually believe it owns the church. I’m inclined to think it does.

I’m a Dominican and I often wonder what really is the concrete relationship between the people who come to our churches and the Dominican Order? 

What actually do they know about us?

In the case of diocesan priests, have the people in parishes any idea how a diocese is organised and run? 

Have parishioners any say as who should or should not be their parish priest?  Does anyone know how the system works? And then all the silly titles.

Is this heresy? I don’t think so.

It’s so easy to look on in some sort of awe or wonder about the church. But if you scratch away, stop all the wonder and awe, what actually is there?

Any time I go back to Roscrea I feel profoundly sad at why anyone should stand back in awe.

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...