Sunday, April 11, 2021

Killenaule woman makes history at Aintree

As Minella Times was being led into the winner's enclosure at Aintree yesterday, having won the Grand National, winning jockey Rachael Blacmore was asked a question about being the first woman to win the race replied smilingly: " I don't feel male or female, not even human. This is just unbelievable."

Later in an interview, together with trainer Henry De Bromhead, she said when she was a child she never imagined sh'e get a ride in this race. "This is the race that captures every young person."

"Jumping the second last I was thinking I'm still going well here. I slightly let myself think it might happen but you have to cross the line too.

"It is an unimaginable feeling, you can't even get close to dreaming about it."

Winning trainer Henry de Bromhead gave Rachael her great praise, adding with a laugh: "She might become a bit of a prima donna.

Just before she headed off for her next race, Rachel said: "I can't believe I'm Rachael Blackmore. I never thought this would be possible for me."

When asked what advice she would give young girls, she said: "Keep your dreams big."

No comments:

Featured Post

'Parents must be consulted about sex education in schools'

  Michael McDowell in The Irish Times yesterday. There has been some degree of public controversy in recent times concerning the role of sch...