Sunday, June 7, 2020

Words of inspiration from Alfred Delp SJ

Thirty eight-year-old Alfred Delp was a Jesuit, who objected to the Nazis and was a member of a resistance group to Hitler.

He wrote the lines below at Tegel prison before being moved to Plötzensee, where he was hanged from a meat hook on February 2, 1945. Another three months and he would have been saved. The fragility, the accidentalness our our lives.

Today, the feast of the Trinity, these striking sentiments are worth noting.

"The world is full of God. From every pore, God rushes out to us, as it were.

"God knocked all my assets out of my hand and let my self-assurance fall to pieces.

Delpt describes the Holy Spirit as the breath of creation.

God has taken has taken my case entirely into his hands. I have learnt how to send up met cry and to wait for the message of encouragement from the eternal hills.

Elsewhere Delp writes: "Whoever doesn't have the courage to make history is doomed to become its object. We have to take action."

No comments:

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...