Friday, September 20, 2019

Archbishop Martin on Cardinal Etchegaray

The current issue of The Tablet carries a piece by Archbishop Diarmuid Martin on the late Cardinal Etchegaray.

Below is the final paragraph.

I  OFTEN REFER to Cardinal Etchegaray as my Maestro. From the very first day we met, he said to me that he wished to know what I was up to, but that once he knew he would back me up to the hilt if things went wrong. It was a relationship of maturity between men of very different backgrounds. He was encouraging. He was a man of faith. He was refreshingly free. We need more church leaders of his kind.

No comments:

Featured Post

Garda Vetting system is a shocking waste of resources

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column. Michael Commane I want to explain to you something the Irish State is doing that is...