Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Cyclists are dancing with death on our roads

This week's Independent News & Media Irish regional newspapers' column.

Michael Commane
Over the years this column has on occasion concerned itself with road safety with specific reference to cyclists, indeed, it has provoked a number of letters to the editor.

I’m cycling a long time. I think I can say I have a good feel for the road and its users. Sixty-five years on a bicycle has afforded me an experience, which I think allows me talk with a certain degree of credibility.

Up to very recently I was advising all young people and not-so-young to take to the bicycle and get out there on the roads, whether going to or from work, or out and about for fun and relaxation.

I have stopped giving such advice. It’s got so dangerous on our roads I am now suggesting, especially to young work colleagues, to stop cycling on our roads.

Only last week cycling on a main artery into Dublin city centre at 7am, a parked car pulled out without indicating, it meant I had to swerve quickly. But what I did not know was that far too closely behind me were two cyclists. It was a close thing and scary. Had the three bicycles collided there would have been many broken bones.

And then all the anger and road rage from both those on bicycles and in cars. While cycling on a narrow road one evening some months ago a car came far too close to me. When I brought it to his attention at the next set of traffic-lights he became so violent that I was scared.

I put my hands up and admit that I am no saint. But I hope I am learning and these days show more care and understanding.

The following incident is not a good story about me.

It was early in the morning last week. A car passed me on a narrow road. The vehicle was travelling at great speed, certainly at a speed above the limit. I could hear the violence of the car coming behind me and then as it passed I observed that there was no rear right light on the car.

I caught up with the car at the next set of traffic-lights. I beckoned to the driver, who opened the window of the car and I said: ‘I suggest you drive the car at a slower speed and you have no rear right light’. That was all. I cycled off.

I have been thinking of my action ever since. A young woman was driving the car. Had it been a man who was at the wheel would I have done what I did, especially after the experience I mention above?

The previous weekend a cousin of mine over from London for the Ireland England rugby game mentioned this very point to me. He cycles in London, never enters into any sort of discussion with male drivers but can be confrontational when women drivers break the rules of the road.

I was polite and did not raise my voice when I spoke to the woman driver. Nevertheless, I was acting as a bully as most likely I would not have said it to a man.

It set me thinking about my behaviour.

At this stage of my cycling career I am beginning to think that it has got so dangerous on our roads is it time for the State to insist that cyclists are required to pass a road test and obtain a cycling licence?

And should cyclists be required to have a bicycle insurance? 

No comments:

Featured Post

The wonderful symbolism of Torgau has vanished

On this day, April 25, 1945 a symbolic event happened on the river Elbe in the south east German town of Torgau. It was here that the United...