Friday, November 23, 2018

'The Irish Catholic' and its brand of Catholicism

In the current issue of The Irish Catholic the editor tells his readers: "In Ireland, it is becoming increasingly clear that conscientious Catholics are political orphans."

Elsewhere, weekly columnist, David Quinn writes: "Ireland is rather smug now about the whole Brexit situation."

Mr Quinn also tells us "We should not exaggerate the EU's contribution to the peace and prosperty of Europe...".

Really?

I don't need the editor to tell me that I am a political orphan, because I'm not. And nor am I 'smug' about Brexit.

The work of the founding fathers of the EU in bringing peace within the territory of the European Union cannot be stressed strongly enough.

Is it that The Irish Catholic exudes a Catholicism that is smug, pompous and patronising? A brand of Catholicism that seems so far removed from Pope Francis' 'Field Hospital'.





No comments:

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...