Thursday, June 21, 2018

Gerry Doyle RIP - an exceptionally gifted priest

The funeral Mass of Gerry (Gerard) Doyle took place in Foxrock church yesterday.

The church was filled to capacity with a large number of priests concelebrating.

I begin each day as a hospital chaplain with a paper round. Most mornings Gerry did not want a paper. It meant my paper round was delayed because the first thing I would want to do when I came in was say hello to Gerry. If he were asleep I’d be disappointed that he was not there for us to talk to each other. And laugh.

At the end of the Requiem Mass a nephew of Gerry gave the eulogoy in which he told the congregation about asking Gerry if he had ever considered leaving priesthood. I once asked him if he would do the same all over again. I know, a silly question, but it led to an intriguing conversation. He had never considered being anything but a priest. As to God, yes, he had no doubt about the existence of a being who could create such beauty.

Parish priest Frank Herron alluded to the number of priests present. With a smile he told us that it was ironic in the extreme as Gerry had no respect whatsoever for any shape or form of clericalism and seldom if ever attended clerical meetings.

All three speakers, Frank Herron, Eamonn Walsh and Gerry's nephew, stressed how Gerry had a special gift for connecting with the outsider, the person on the margins, the person in difficulty.

Within 10 minutes of meeting Gerry Doyle I knew I was in the presence of an exceptional person. 

Probably because I happen to be in that category of people to whom Gerry, in a most gifted way, extended his hand of friendship.

Gerry Doyle had the gift of making people feel important.

No comments:

Featured Post

Re-turn scheme great idea but all machines must work

In the first 40 days of the Re-turn scheme  almost seven million containers were returned. But 193 million never made it to the machines. It...