Thursday, December 11, 2014

The power of kind words

A beggar man sits most mornings in the porch of a Dublin church. It's his custom to shout at people entering the church and call them hypocrites. He thinks out loud and suggests instead of us giving money to people in Africa we should give it to the poor and homeless in Ireland.

Some days ago a man offered to give me  money to take the man for breakfast. I explained I'm rushing at that particular time but I'd try to do it some morning. No, I did not take the money.

This morning entering the church, I asked the beggar man would he come for breakfast some morning. He politely declined the offer.

On leaving the church he was still sitting in the porch, in a most gentle voice and unsolicited said: "thank you for your offer".

Most impressive on his part.

No comments:

Featured Post

A railway man who was a gentleman and now a legend

Jimmy O’Grady, who died in March 2014 spent his working life on the railway. He was a gracious and wise man. Jimmy drove the last train out ...