Thursday, January 2, 2014

From Dublin's Grafton Street to India on a bicycle

Two years ago a young man came to do an internship in Concern Worldwide's offices in Dublin.

Dean McMenamin was completing a course in digital studies at the Blanchardstown IT and availed of the internship at Concern to put into practice the theoretical material he had learned during his studies at college.


He was  probably 20/21 at the time. Dean is, at least at the time was, of slight build.


I can recall overhearing him saying to someone in the office that he planned cycling to India. I was surprised and asked him had he a bicycle. He told me he didn't but was about to buy one. I explained that I thought it would probably be a better idea to cycle around Ireland first before heading off on his world adventure.


At the time it sounded to me a crazy idea. Some weeks later he told me he had bought a bicycle and brought me out to the car park to show me his new acquisition. I still thought it was a crazy idea.


Dean set off on his cycling adventure in early spring. Today he is in India and has now decided to go on to Australia. To date he has cycled 11,861 kilometres.

It is an incredible adventure and the man is amazing.

He stayed for a number of days at the Irish Dominican priory in Tehran, where Fr Paul Lawlor gave him a great welcome.

He has an active website, which he regularly updates. Simply google his name and you will get to the site.

Well done and congratulations Dean.

No comments:

Featured Post

The wonderful symbolism of Torgau has vanished

On this day, April 25, 1945 a symbolic event happened on the river Elbe in the south east German town of Torgau. It was here that the United...