Sunday, October 7, 2012

Historical consequences and the now

Today the Church of Ireland community in the church of Ballymacelligott celebrated harvest liturgy.

I had the privilege to preach at their morning Communion Service.

Walking into a Protestant church in Kerry surely forces one to look back in history but most of all to ask why there is not more energy put into repairing historical divisions.

At Communion it was time to ask and wonder, indeed, pray what that great word 'transubstantiation' means.

Later in the day, telling a young woman where I had been, she immediately recalled how her grandfather had told her that in his time Catholics were not allowed enter Protestant churches.

It would be interesting to ask that young woman, who is Catholic, and her Church of Ireland counterpart what Communion means for them.

Time now to read up on how the pope's former butler is managing.

2 comments:

Póló said...

C of I know how to run a good Harvest Festival, including the Concert.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I found your blog via Google at the same time as looking for a related topic, your website came up, it appears great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...