Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Garda cars fitted with magic device

A short personal story.

Driving between Tralee and Castleisland on Monday at approximately 13.45 I noticed there was a Garda car behind me flashing lights. Scared, I pulled over. Two gardai got out of the car - a woman driver and a man in the passenger seat.

I blurted and asked was I speeding. They said no. It was a regular check. I doubted that because of how they stopped me.

The woman garda said that on her records my car was not insured but she did add that the car may well be insured.

I assured them the car was insured and that in fact I had the new policy in the car. It was due to come into operation on December 1.

I was then asked for my driving licence, which I showed.

The woman garda was at all times polite. Her colleague was less so and while in conversation with me was applying some sort of ointment stick to his lips. I was not impressed.

Since it happened I have been wondering why my car was chosen. Many people gave me different reasons - an old car, my criminal looks, maybe I was on the telephone.

No. Many garda cars are now equipped with ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition. The ANPR system automatically identifies cars that are not insured.

My car was and is insured. There was some blip on the radar on the part of the insurance company, which identified my car as not being insured.

Garda cars with a slim black box on the boot lid are fitted with the device. The cars also have a camera in the front windscreen.

A another world from the friendly copper on a bicycle.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Mitchell said...

Michael

Most interesting and good to know

Elizabeth

Featured Post

A thought on the Cross for this Good Friday

But with Christ, we have access in a one-to-one relationship, for, as in the Old Testament, it was more one of worship and awe, a vertical r...