Wednesday, June 8, 2011

There is no shortage of priests in Ireland

The article below appears in a number of INM Irish regional newspapers today.

By Michael Commane
Every time I hear there’s a shortage of priests in Ireland, I find myself shaking my head, saying it’s not as simple as that. In fact, I don't accept there’s a shortage of priests at all.

I was ordained a priest on July 7 1974 - the day the Germans beat the Dutch in the World Cup in Munich. Sometime before my ordination, a wise Dominican suggested to me that I should look to be sent to teach at our school in Newbridge. His logic (and leaving spirituality aside for a moment)? A full-time teaching post would be a great start to priesthood, providing the discipline and rigour of being at work at nine am five days a week.

After post-graduate work in Rome and a stint at both UCC and Maynooth, I was sent to teach in Newbridge. Since then, I’ve been teaching on and off, in addition to doing other jobs. But, from the day I joined the Dominican Order I've been fascinated by, and curious about, the relationship between the priest and work.

Of course, there are priests who work extremely hard; men who are passionate and energised about their life and commitment. But throughout my 43 years in the Dominican Order, I’ve wondered about how work is managed within the institutional church.

Straight off, I believe that the manpower available is, perhaps, not used to its capacity. So, here's my question. How can there be an actual shortage of priests for parish work, when in religious communities across Ireland, there are priests who are, quite possibly, even probably, underused?

Here’s where we need new thinking. No matter how eager or committed, for members of religious orders to work in parishes, they must be invited by the diocesan bishop. From what I know, there’s little if any serious dialogue, on a national level, between bishops and the various congregations and orders, on that or other matters.

Purely in the Dominican context, we have priories around Ireland that could easily be involved in formal parochial work. I know there are many men who would relish this role and be excellent at it.

Some Dominicans might argue that parish work would not be in keeping with the mission of the order. And certainly, there might well be differences between priests in congregations and those in dioceses. But, can the Dominican charism be lived every bit as well, if not even more so, in these difficult days, within a parish structure? I certainly think so. It’s already being done in Tallaght, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

There is also the issue of communication, with an urgent need for more open and genuine lines of communication between priests and bishops, people and bishops, and bishops and congregational leaders. It seems the only time bishops and congregational superiors meet is when there is a crisis. And that traditional attitude and practice are at the heart of many church problems today.

In addition, are too many of the younger men joining the priesthood today, focusing more on 'tradition' and 'ritual' than on rolling up their sleeves? Esoteric ideas and the correct clerical garb are one thing. But real presence in real communities with real people in real pain, is something else entirely. Imagine being a real and comforting presence in parishes? It could do so much to restore rightfully-shaken public faith in a rightfully-shaken institution?

So before the idea of a ‘shortage of priests’ in Ireland, takes hold, may I suggest that bishops, diocesan priests and religious congregations come together to discuss the real manpower issues within the Irish Catholic Church? It's difficult to imagine that in the Catholic Church in 2011, we can still use the term 'manpower' in its literal sense. But that readers, is an issue for another day.

There are extraordinary people working at the coalface of the Irish church.

With a mix of faith, hope and courage great things could happen within it.

In Gerard Manley Hopkins’ words: “It’s not only prayer that gives God glory but work too. Everything gives God glory if being in his grace you do it as your duty.”

We live in hope.

No comments:

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...