Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Deep in the ground under a sycamore tree

My faithful companion of 12 years is dead.

Jessie, a labrador bitch, was put to sleep yesterday.

The loss is real and the pain too. Carrying her into the vet in Dingle yesterday was heart wrenching.

A friend, who had cared for Jessie on the days that I was not in Kerry, came with me.

We buried her under a tree in the garden.

It is amazing the relationship that can develop between a dog and a human.

She was an amazing animal. As a young dog, full of fun and adventure, she did get me into some trouble but over the years she was always there beside me.

When I would arrive home late on a Thursday night, she would show her face.

Earlier when Dad was alive he would say that she knew when the car pulled up at the door.

In the last few months she developed cancer of the bone, which spread to the lung and right to the last day she wagged her tail.

She was gentle and kind. Never sly or mean. Yes, opportunistic when it came to 'stealing' food.

Nature is simply amazing.

Leave it at that.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Michael, was greatly saddened to read of Jessie's death. Of course the loss is profound but that is a measure of how important tbe relationship was. Animals have a great deal to teach us about fidelity. It was wonderful you had Jessie for so long. All the best. Michael

Michael Commane said...

Thank you.
She was a wonderful friend. We walked to Tralee together, were on the top of Mount Brandon. We walked all over West Kerry. Swam together in the Atlantic. She loved swimming and knew where it was dangerous to swim. One day swimming in a place my late father said was dangerous, Jessie refused to let me swim - kept pulling and tugging at me.

When she was a young dog she fell down a lift shaft - survived.

She was so gentle. And no front to her, never sly and no cunning.

Unknown said...

Michael

I'm new to this blog. Trying to leave a comment.

So sorry indeed to read of Jessie's death. You will miss her so much.

Such a lovely story you wrote about her.

Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Hi Michael,

So sorry to hear about Jessie. I came across this and thought I would share it with you.


I've changed my ways a little, I can no longer
run with you in the evenings along the shore,
except in a kind of dream, and you, if you dream a little
you will see me there.
So leave a while the paw marks on the back door,
Where I used to scratch to come in or go out,
and you'd soon answer, leave on the kitchen floor
the marks of my drinking pan.

I cannot lie by your fire all evening
On the warm stone, nor yet at the foot of your bed
no, all the night through, I lie alone.
But your kind thought has laid me less than 6 feet
outside your window, where firelight so often plays,
and where you sit to read, and, I fear, often grieving for me--
every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, Man and Woman, live so long,
it is hard to think of you ever dying!
A dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope that when you are lying
under the ground like me, your life will appear
as good and joyful as mine. No, that's too much hope...
you have not been as well cared for as I have been,

And never knew the passionate, undivided
fidelities I knew.
Your mind is perhaps too active, too many sided,
but to me you were true.
You were never a Master, but a Friend. I was your Friend.
Deep love endures to the end and long past the end...
If this is my end, I am not lonely. I am not afraid.
I am still yours.

thinking of you at this very sad and lonely time...

Lori

Michael Commane said...

Thank you. A terrible loss

Featured Post

Age cannot be a reason to dump someone

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column. Michael Commane Eir CEO, Oliver Loomes was interviewed on the Business programme on...