Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A tooth tale

The column below appears in the Irish regional newspapers of Independent News and Media.

By Michael Commane
When the first British troops encountered their German enemy in World War 1 they immediately noticed the good teeth of the German soldiers. The British have never been renowned for the health of their teeth and we Irish are further down the scale when it comes to oral hygiene.

Who’s to blame for the poor quality of Irish teeth? Is it the fault of the State, the individual or the dentist? Like everything in life nothing is as straightforward as to provide a simple answer. Certainly education, money and resources, as per usual, play a significant role in the state of the nation’s teeth.

It is important to say that dental care in Ireland has improved greatly in the last 20 to 30 years. The introduction of fluoride into the water has dramatically reduced tooth decay.

I’m 61 and as proud as punch that I still have a full mouth of my own original teeth. For that I have to thank my mother and my dentists.

When I was around 12 or 13 my mother thought I needed orthodontic work done and took me to the dental hospital in Dublin where she was told that I did not qualify for free dental care. Either I was over the age or my father’s income was over the limit. All I know is that I was not eligible for ‘free’ dental care. My mother took me to Joe Briscoe who looked after my teeth until I was in my 40s. Just before he retired he promised me that if I cared for my teeth I would take them to the grave.
Thank you Mr Briscoe, it’s looking good.

Not in any way denigrating the married state, I have always said that changing dentist is in so many ways analogous to changing spouses. Trust in your dentist is paramount.
Over ten years a
go I found a new dentist and I think it’s worth telling the story of how I have built up such a relationship with him and why I believe he has earned my trust.
Very often columnists sound off and tell all the bad news stories. This is a good news story, though, there may well be a complementary bad news story lurking in the background.

In the last two years deep filings in two teeth had reached their sell by date and it was decided to replace them with modern-style crowns. It is a new system called a Cerec and the job is done using computer aided design. The first one proved a resounding success and really is an amazing job. Alas with the second one it was not so simple. After the job had been done an infection set in. My dentist explained that the Cerec probably activated or switched on some decayed matter that was already in the tooth.

Maybe men are bad patients and I a particularly bad one but the pain was indescribable. I went back to my dentist and he did some temporary work on the tooth. Some weeks later while out of the country the tooth flared up again and on the flight home I felt my head lifting off my shoulders with such a terrible pain.
The following day when in Dublin I called my dentist in Tralee. He arranged that I pick up medication at a pharmacy in Dublin and then some days later he made an appointment for me to visit a dentist colleague of his in Dublin.

The Dublin dentist having examined the tooth and asking me a few questions decided to leave the job until I went back to my dentist in Tralee.

When I asked how much I owed him he pointed out he had done no work on the tooth and that I owed him nothing. I was impressed. And relieved.
Some days later I had work done on the tooth in Tralee. All was well again. The relief of not having a toothache is quite extraordinary and anyone who has suffered from a bad toothache knows exactly what I mean.

A week or so passed and to my great surprise my dentist in Tralee telephoned to know if all was well with the tooth. I was chuffed to think he would call to see how the tooth was. And of course I was greatly impressed.
These days it’s easy to criticise those in charge of things and also professional people in well paid jobs. But that does not mean we cannot also praise them for their good and caring work.

But to think that the State has now reneged on paying for a service that we have paid into for years really is a scandal. People who have been paying PRSI all their working lives have at the stroke of a pen been told that they now have to pay for the vast majority of dental work that they get done.

The way our great State is now treating us means that for people who cannot afford dental work the only solution is extraction. That is a scandal and it says much about how docile we are that we are not storming the gates of Government and telling them we have every right to keep our teeth.

I’m privileged and fortunate to be able to pay for my dental work.

Thank you Mum and dentist. Shame on you State.

1 comment:

Donal said...

Yes Michael, I can just picture the British soldier as the German charges towards him waving his bayonet and his teeth clenched - and the British guy thinkin 'Jez, he's got really nice teeth!'

Featured Post

The world sure is in a state of chassis

Conor Cruise O’Brien was prescient when he coined the acronym GUBU when he referring to a political scandal in Ireland during a Haughey gove...