Wednesday, August 26, 2009

God rules okay

An author of a book published in 2008 quotes Al Queda's reasons for wanting to stop the march of western culture.
He writes, "They maintain that God can't survive in this kind of culture and they have to stop it by force. That is where they are wrong, but notice the insight: God cannot survive in this culture."

The author is obviously concurring with the sentiment in italics. But surely God can and does survive in this culture. To say anything else cannot be Christian. And anyway the only world I know is the world I inhabit and have inhabited since my birth. I hope God survives in my environment, the environment of cycling to work, being at work, cooking my food, walking my dog.

The worrying aspect to the sentiment is that it is written by a Catholic priest. Strange.

Why within the established church is there that tendency to criticise and attack the world we live in, the world of the now? That's the world we use, that's the world within which we fly from LA to Dublin, that's the world in which we invest our money.

It is a nonsense.

No comments:

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...