Wednesday, July 29, 2026

We are caught in a society that thinks it’s cool to waste

This week's column in The Kerryman newspaper.

Michael Commane

There has been construction work happening where I live; it means there have been skips coming and going. 


On one occasion I spotted an electrical extension lead on the top of the pile. I asked the builder could I take it and of course he consented. I commented on the amount we waste across the board. Not only did he agree but added that he is paying to dump material that is still usable. 


To add to the stupidity of our throwaway society I was embarrassed taking the extension lead and did not want anyone to see me removing it from the skip. Why should I be ashamed of utilising material that still works?


I don’t remember much from my student days but I still recall someone say that the advent of the skip heralded the advent of the throwaway society.


We are living in a society that worships waste.

Everyone knows how the price of electricity has soared since the beginning of the war in Ukraine. The cost of a kW/h of electricity in Ireland is one of the highest in the European Union. I’m at a loss to know how poorer people are paying for their energy. 


There is a Scottish proverb that says if you clean outside your own hall door the entire street will be clean. I’m not sure it’s as simple as that but I am certain that we can all play our part in protecting our pockets and the environment by making the tiniest of changes to our lifestyles.


How careful are you with your usage of electricity? Do you make sure to fill your washing machine every time you use it? Could you be more careful with the use of your immersion heater? What about filling the kettle when there is only need to heat half that amount of water? 


What about if you made a decision to reduce your use of  electricity by five units(kW/h) of electricity  in your next monthly billing period? With the vast majority of houses now fitted with smart meters it’s easy to control and observe your usage of electricity. 


The unit of electricity is approximately 36 cent. Over a two month period that would work out at a saving of €3.60. And don’t turn up your nose at that saving. The new UK prime minister has made a big deal of removing VAT from electricity; it works out at a saving of less than £1 a month for the average user. But here’s my idea: if the electricity suppliers agreed to credit you for every five units you save. Say you save 10 units over two months, they credit you with five units in your next two-month bill. 


What about the Minister for Finance introducing such a scheme? It’s well beyond time for our leaders to think imaginatively and outside the box.


There is always hope; chatting with a 16-year-old on Saturday he told me the shirt he was wearing was second hand, bought on the net. He thought my electricity idea was clever.


And yes the electrical extension is in good working order.


I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use.’ -Mother Teresa.


No comments:

Post a Comment