Tuesday, July 18, 2023

RTÉ has become our scapegoat

This week’s Mediahuis/INM Irish regional newspapers’ column.


Michael Commane

RTÉ has been all over the news for a month. I’m beginning to think our national broadcaster has become a scapegoat. Throw all the blame on them and we can easily forget about other agencies that are in shambolic condition.


I often wonder what’s going on inside the management of so many organisations.


Over many years I’ve had experiences with State and church groups, which have made me wonder who are the people in charge. I often find myself saying I would not leave them in charge of a chicken run. Indeed, a chicken run would require good and proper management.

Some weeks ago I wrote in this column about the new Transport for Ireland, TFI Live app. 


I had problems with navigating around it and how it published timetables. I emailed the National Transport Authority with my enquiry on May 25. That same day I received an email reply not answering my specific questions. I emailed again on June 18. Guess what happened? They replied telling me that they had dealt with my issues in the email of May 25. 


On another occasion I received a generic email informing me that I would receive a reply within 15 working days. I can’t recall receiving a reply. I phoned them and spoke with a pleasant and competent-sounding person. I explained my story and I could hear from her voice she knew exactly my predicament. She assured me she would inform the relevant department of my complaint. So far I have received nothing from the NTA. 


And I am still completely confused about what Transport for Ireland and the National Transport Authority do. Why should the National Transport Authority be responsible for the Transport for Ireland app? Is there anyone out there who is able to distinguish what is the different remit of both agencies? Should State agencies really be as obtuse as this? 

Now to my second unwholesome experience. Anyone who has been Garda vetted for their work, be it paid or voluntary, will be aware of the tedious process of having to list all the addresses they have lived in since birth. 

The system is not fit for purpose. 

I have to be Garda vetted for at least four agencies/organisations. My Garda vetting comes up every few years and every time I have to give all my addresses from birth. 

On this occasion, listing all my addresses, in error, I omitted the postal code of an address in Northern Ireland. My application was refused because of the missing postal code. 

Guess what, they have asked me to list all my addresses again, from the day I was born, which works out at 15. They would not accept a simple addition of the missing postal code. 

How much must all this pen pushing/keyboard stroking and bureaucracy cost the State? And on it trundles and we seem to accept it all sitting down. 

Someone needs to cry stop. And the sooner the better. This is our tax money, that is being wasted on the silliest of bureaucracy. 

What about the politicians who appoint so many people to State boards? How competent are these people? 

No comments:

Featured Post

Oscar Wilde on how men are jokers

"The man who says his wife can't take a joke, forgets that she took him. ” - Oscar `Wilde