An elderly man walking down Rathgar Road this morning shouted across the road to a young family going to school. 'Good morning how are ye', were his words. Cycling down the road I just managed to catch his smile and hear a response from the other side of the road. Rathgar Road is a wide road and I cycling, made it difficult to catch it all.
But it was just a great moment. And the man when he was making his greeting, waved his folded-up newspaper. I saw his smile.
A lucky man presumably. And then I began to think of the British soldier who was killed in Afghanistan yesterday, the bishops and all their nonsense. I remember once taking the mitre off a bishop the wrong way. I was later told it had been done the 'wrong way'. Why did I not have the wisdom to tell him to take it off himself.
Then on British television last evening there was a high-ranking officer of the British Army 'explaining' about Afghanistan.
Bishops, commanding officers, let them look after themselves. I like the man with his newspaper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Former Dominican Michael McCarthy (1941 - 2026) RIP
Former Dominican priest Michael McCarthy died today in Cork. Michael was born on February 17, 1941 in Galway, joined the Dominican Order in ...
-
An interesting quote from Napoleon Bonaparte: “The honest man never doubts the existence of God’.
-
This is a worrying story. It’s written by Conor Pope and appeared in The Irish Times on Monday. It becomes ever more worrying how large org...
-
Former Dominican priest Tom Tom Brodie Brodie died in a nursing home in Galway yesterday. He had been ailing for some time. He was born in C...
No comments:
Post a Comment