Monday, June 6, 2016

"I felt totally abandoned by my church" - Cork priest

This is from the website of the Assocation of Catholic Priests (ACP).

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/features/2/8464/guilty-until-proven-innocent


Tim Hazelwood reflects on the terrible situation in which he was unjustly placed.

Experience and reflections of a priest who fought to clear his name.

This ordeal began on the 20th of March 2010 when I was informed by the Child Protection Officer of the diocese that they had received an anonymous complaint against me some time previously. This is the story and a reflection taken from the perspective of a priest who was wrongly accused and who has fought and succeeded over six years to clear his name.

Despite the fact that the accusation was anonymous, the accuser had not come forward, and the National Board for Safeguarding Children advised that no action should be taken, my diocese proceeded to inform the Police (Gardai) and the Health Board, giving them my name. Why, when I was entitled to my good name? Canon 1717 says, “Care is to be taken that this investigation does not call into question anyone’s good name.” My right to my good name and reputation was clearly disregarded.

Despite the scant information given to me I was able to identify my accuser and was at a total loss to understand the motivation behind the claims being made. The vulnerability of my position was further played on when a campaign of harassment and intimidation by the accuser was initiated with phone calls, to me and others and an anonymous letter.

When the website of the Association of Catholic Priests was contacted and my name given it was time to act. With the support of the association I contacted their solicitor who advised me to make a complaint against the accuser. The result was that my accuser was questioned by the Gardai (Police) about the harassment but the Director of Public Prosecutions advised that the intimidation was not sufficient to gain a conviction.

At this stage my desire to clear my name was stronger than ever and consequently lodged a civil action in the High Court. Despite the huge financial risk I needed justice to be done.

In the preparation for the case I requested my file and any notes that might help my case from the diocese. I was met with a complete and total lack of cooperation, even to the extent of feeling threatened and bullied by the Child Protection Officer. With persistence I eventually received a redacted version, with the important and what might be helpful parts excluded.

In my attempt to defend myself not only was I unsupported but clearly frustrated. Significantly from the scant information I did receive, I discovered that I had been blatantly lied to as well.   A later revelation shocked me further in that my accuser had informed the diocese that he had been stalking me and I had not been informed.

After six years my accuser has now settled the court action I had taken. I have received a detailed signed retraction and admission that lies  had been told and a signed apology was received. My legal fees were paid and a generous donation to my nominated charity has been paid.

While I have no understanding behind the motives of my accuser my reflections are mainly around my church which I felt “cut me loose”, hung me out to dry, disowned me and left me feeling very alone. I struggled between my desire to clear my name and the expectation to lie low and to say nothing, hoping that it will go away.

However, as I reflect on these years and the position in which I found myself, I am thinking about the sad reality of the darker side of our human narrative. Huge damage has been done by clerical sex abuse and I believe that a majority of complaints are genuine. 

Today the issue remains current, allegations against ‘celebrities’ in England, and in Ireland the lid is being lifted on abuse within foster care. While these tragedies continue natural justice nonetheless needs to be done for both accused and accuser.

From my own experience I am led to think particularly of the accused person who is innocent.

Is he in fact presumed guilty until proven innocent?

Does he have rights even to view his own file?

Does he have a right to know that he has been accused, before his name is filed and passed on to authorities?

Has he a right to know an organisation’s or Church’s safeguarding policy?

I tried on three occasions to gain this information from the National Board but was fobbed off. What is the Church’s policy on anonymous complaints? What support system is in place for priests wrongly accused and who choose to fight for their good name?

I felt totally abandoned by “my Church” and often thought about people on death row who had committed heinous crimes and yet are not abandoned by family and friends. Where does duty of care to members come in?

To my mind a pastoral rethink is more than in order. Even larger questions need to be asked. How is it that this culture exists within the organisation?

While my accuser is no longer an ongoing issue my journey continues. There have been many learnings for me from the experience. My foremost challenge now is to deal with the hurt and resentments I am left with. I believe that mercy and forgiveness are as important as truth and justice. But justice also involves accountability and an admission of the wrongs that have been done both by the organisation and by individuals.

But can that or will that happen? I have my doubts. I hope and pray to be proven wrong.

Tim Hazelwood.

Parish Priest of Killeagh Co Cork. Ireland.

1 comment:

Póló said...

Apparently Bishop Crean promoted him, which should be recognised, but the Bishop is still running scared of the Nuncio and the CDF as evidenced by his attempts to exclude Tony Flannery from the diocese.

Reminiscent of John Charles in my youth.

Featured Post

A thought on the Cross for this Good Friday

But with Christ, we have access in a one-to-one relationship, for, as in the Old Testament, it was more one of worship and awe, a vertical r...