Tuesday, February 2, 2016

More to us than an amalgam of molecules? A God?

This week's INM Irish regional newspapers' column

Michael Commane
It is too easy, too glib to say there is a God. But it is also on the other hand too easy and too glib to say there is no God.

Are we just an amalgam of molecules? Is that it or is there more to it?

On Monday I called to visit a woman in a geriatric ward in a Dublin teaching hospital.

On the last occasion I called to see her, her sister was with her so I spent most of my time talking to her sister. But on Monday I was on my own. The lady had little or nothing to say to me. It was clear that she was waiting for her sister to arrive.

Sitting at her bedside I was looking around the room. All elderly women. One woman was walking restlessly up and down the ward. She was looking for 'her chair'. 

I had earlier taken the chair beside her bed, so I left it back but as soon as I had left it back she was looking for another chair and on it went. She kept looking for chairs and then it dawned on me that the lady was suffering from dementia. 

A few minutes later a young nurse came into the room and how she handled the old woman. It really was inspirational. She was so kind and nice to her. No doubt she is dealing with that every day.

In another bed there was a woman with a tube in her nose. I got the impression she may have had a laryngectomy.  I have some knowledge in that area, as close to 40 years ago my mother developed cancer of the throat, subsequently had a laryngectomy and managed to live for 12 years after such a major operation.

So looking over at the woman my mind jumped back 40 years. The lady had paper and pencils at hand to write down her thoughts and requests. 

A laryngectomy involves the removal of the voice box and unless a mechanism is inserted it means the person never talks again. And even when a mechanism is inserted it is not done immediately after the operation.

All the time, the lady I was visiting was becoming more and more restless, awaiting the arrival of her sister. It was clear that my presence was of little or no importance to her.

Nurses were coming and going and they were so kind and gentle to all their patients. The lady looking for 'her chair' was becoming agitated and the nurses continued to be so kind to her.

And then my friend's sister arrived and we were able to chat and yes laugh about life on the ward. 

With the arrival of her sister, the lady I was visiting was suddenly calmed. It was really extraordinary to see how she had relaxed. She was a new woman. I found myself massaging her feet and all the while a great smile emanated from her face.

I left, walked along the corridor, took the lift down to the main entrance, walked along the footpath and jumped up on a Dublin City Bike and cycled across the city, all the time thinking of the hospital ward and the misery and pain that people experience.

Is there more to our lives than what we experience in the world about us? 

Is there a life after death? 

Is there a God?

I hope there is.

Do I believe there is? I hope I do. The more I see of the world about me the more I'm inclined to go for the God idea.

No comments:

Featured Post

The Tik Tok Taoiseach is a clever nickname

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers. Michael Commane Let me stress how fortunate we are in Ireland, in the European Union, to ha...