Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Caught out on a motorbike in rain and cold at Christmas

This week's INM Irish regional newspapers' column.

Michael Commane
Do you remember where you were on Christmas Eve at 4pm?

I know exactly where I was. I was standing beside my broken-down motorbike.

Earlier on the drive it had given some trouble but eventually at a major junction in south Dublin it stopped dead. It is a big bike, a Honda Deauville, 680cc.

It is almost impossible to push it single-handedly and certainly dangerous in the extreme to try to negotiate it across a busy traffic light-controlled junction.

I spotted a man walking on the footpath with his family and he kindly helped me get across to the other side of the road.

At least I now had it parked. It was cold and raining heavily. Fortunately I had the insurance company number on my phone and yes, my phone was in my pocket, charged too.

I called the number, got through relatively quickly.

Those of you not familiar with a motorbike may not be aware but there is no place for an insurance disc. There is just one bracket or holder and that's for the tax disc. I did not have my insurance cert with me so I didn't know the policy number.

A woman answered the phone. I gave her the registration number and my location. She then asked: "What's the make of the car?" I replied that it was a motorbike. She immediately told me that the company did not insure motorbikes. 

I insisted it was insured and that I had an insurance document for the bike. Alas, it was at home. I went on to tell her the motorbike was insured as part of a fleet policy and gave her the name of the fleet. She then asked me for the policy number. I had to tell her I did not have it with me. She assured me she could do nothing for me and the call ended. It was raining, cold, and I was on the side of the road with a big machine.

Called a colleague and eventually got the insurance policy number. Phoned the insurance company again, gave all my details, including policy number. The man with whom I was speaking explained that within an hour assistance would arrive to help. I went on to tell him about my earlier experience and he explained that the company does not insure motorbikes for individual customers but it does for those who are insured on fleet policies.

Within an hour a white van arrives. The relief to see it. Mechanic gets out, introduces himself and after 20 minutes the engine ticks over and I am able to limp home. Was I glad to see my hall door and park up the bike.

I called the insurance company and told them my story.

When the engine cut out at a major junction I was frazzled and nervous. I would not dare sit up on the bike without knowing that I had comprehensive insurance. In the event of anything happening I know I can call for assistance, anytime of the day or night. That's exactly what did not happen on this occasion.

Surely they should have a computer system that can recognise a fleet name. When people are  under pressure they will always know the name but will most likely not know their policy number. Of course the policy number is written on the disc. Maybe the moral of this story is that motorbikes in Ireland be fitted with gadgets that can hold two discs.

So far I have not heard a word from the company, not a word of apology. I am not impressed.

1 comment:

Insuranceonline said...

Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too.2 Wheeler Insurance Renewal

Featured Post

Channel 4 shows the lies told by UK Post Office bosses

Channel 4’s main evening news yesterday spent the first 20 minutes reporting on the UK Post Office scandal. They played audio tapes from 201...