Saturday, October 24, 2015

Deer, a caterpillar at 725m

One of the great plusses of Dublin must be the city's proximity to the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.

Tallaght is within a 30-minute drive of the Featherbed and Glencree.

Another 30 minutes and you are at the beginning of a track that leads up to Djouce (725 metres). It takes you past the monument to walker and writer JB Malone. But approximately a kilometre beyond that spot one can go left, leaving the walk and head for Djouce crossing even more beautiful terrain.

It's a way from the 'beaten path'. Today there were between 40 and 50 deer grazing in the area.

High wind and just one cold shower. Four hours 45 minutes of extraordinary beauty.

Tess sometimes gives the impression she is tired and weary walking on footpaths around the city.  Not a hint of that today on Djouce, going up, there and coming down.

And even a caterpillar up there.




4 comments:

Lucia said...

Lovely piece Michael. I climbed the Little Sugar Loaf myself on Saturday. How lucky we are!
I got the Free Travel Pass by the way.... the day before my 66th birthday and have already travelled to WExford on it. What a feeling of "getting away with" something. I felt at any moment I would be found out!!
I'm on A Living Word every day this week. RTE Radio 1 at 6.40 am.
Maeve

Michael Commane said...

Well done. Will listen tomorrow.
If you go to Wexford again this week make sure to visit the exhibition of three female artists on South Main Street, beside Regency Gold Jewellers. It's open from 11.30am to 7pm. Well worth a visit. Even if you are not planning to go, why not take the train. Yes, that feeling 'of getting away with it'. But extend that to think 'how long more?'

Lucia said...

Thanks for that on the WExford exhibition.
The Living Word have changed their time and it goes out now at 6.15 am and not 6.40. Aidan Mathews is looking for contributors, in case you're interested.
What did you mean by "how long more" on the Free Travel Pass. You mean how long will we live, or will they take it away from us!
They wouldn't dare take it away. I heard Olive O'Leary talk about it on radio recently and she was looking forward to it as much as I was. She'd be leading the "grey protest".... with me in her wake!


Michael Commane said...

Maeve,
Switched off BBC Radio 4 on my internet radio at 06.35 and turn on RTE Radio 1. Alas did not hear your piece. Since then someone has told me air time has changed.
My source did tell me you were talking about a grandchild in Norway.
What time?
Michael.

Featured Post

Age cannot be a reason to dump someone

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column. Michael Commane Eir CEO, Oliver Loomes was interviewed on the Business programme on...