Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sunday Independent article

The article which was referred to in yesterday's blog contains the following sentences. These are worrying ideas and is a Sunday newspaper the forum to express such views?
The direct quotes are from an Irish Dominican talking about his 18-month experience as a priest administering the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Is the word 'flabbergasted' appropriate here?

And who is the 'us' to whom the man is referring? Please exclude me from the group.

Is this the perfect example of a cleric patronising people?

But of course it is much more than that.


The quotes as they appear in the newspaper:

"I always know by their faces when they come to me."

"I see a side of a generation that no one else sees.."

"I ask them if they’re happy and they say yes. And then I ask them if they are really happy and they say no and they don’t know what it is they’re looking for."

"That’s why they need clothes, drugs, money…"

"Their honesty is frightening. It really shakes us up. I see a lot of sorrow and sadness, young people not being able to cope and they have to release it somewhere."

No comments:

Featured Post

The wonderful symbolism of Torgau has vanished

On this day, April 25, 1945 a symbolic event happened on the river Elbe in the south east German town of Torgau. It was here that the United...